Monday, July 11, 2016

Welcome, Summer Intern Maddie Donley & ... We're in The Washington Post!

It’s been a whirlwind few weeks as the kids wrapped up the school year, transitioned to summer camps, joined swim team and … I welcomed my first Summer Intern, Maddie Donley to Mira Jean Designs. Welcome, Maddie!

Maddy by one of her paintings from 2015 

A rising second year student at UVA, when I first met Maddie I knew she’d be a great fit. She is smart, positive, has great ideas -- and is a fellow artist, too. I'm thrilled for you to "meet" her via this quick interview:

Where are you from?
I grew up in Arlington, Virginia and have lived here my whole life. I love the proximity to DC. It's always surprising to me when people visit that they’re shocked by the monuments; I did crew for four and a half years and would see them every day, rowing on the Potomac.


What are you studying currently at the University of Virginia?
I haven’t decided on a major yet, but am studying French and am trying to decide between Art History and Government. I’ve always been interested in public policy - and I’ve always had a passion for art. It’s so interesting to see how art has developed over time.  


Do you have a favorite artist? 
I love Degas; the way he’s able to create movement in all of his paintings.


You’re an artist yourself; what kind of work do you do?
I love to paint, I’ve been painting since I was little. My favorite thing to paint is portraits. I usually work in oil and acrylic. My art teacher in high school was a real role model. She never said there was a right way to do anything - because there isn’t really in art - and she was very constructive and helpful in getting people to develop their own styles.

Check out one of Maddie's portrait paintings, here: 

What inspired you to want to intern for Mira Jean Designs?
I was interested in the small business and artistic aspects. I’ve never really seen how a small business works and art has been a passion of mine, so the connection between the two is interesting. The experience will also help me decide what I want to do, career wise.
* * *
These past few weeks Maddie and I have been in serious office work mode, tackling some not-so-glamorous - but necessary - activities to help grow the business. Speaking of growing the business, did you see we were in The Washington Post?! You can read the full article here. 



I am still pinching myself that this happened. They ran the article online in mid-June ... and then IN PRINT(!!) last weekend. Special thanks to my SCORE business mentors Ed Coleman and Ellen Brotman who helped make this possible.

More soon, and hope your summer is off to a great start.
xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment