Friday, April 15, 2016

Serendipity

Sometimes life works in mysterious and serendipitous ways. This week has been a whirlwind! I am excited to share a few highlights with you:

On Tuesday, I was one of three artists at a special event hosted by Kate Llubers at Evans & Sheldon.  Kate runs a beautiful textiles and home furnishings showroom in Georgetown. The focus on this week's event was all about ... Wallpaper. It was an honor to be there alongside Mally Skok and Victoria Larson, two fellow textile designers whose work I admire.

I had been thinking about venturing out into the world of wallpaper for some time. Kate's event gave me what I needed: a deadline. So over the past six weeks or so, I have been testing and fine-tuning wallpaper finishes.

Talk about meeting a deadline. The product was ready just in time for Tuesday's event - but I confessed to the group, I hadn't yet named one of the designs. It began as a textile design. It was posted on Facebook and Instagram in its early stages ... but hasn't been added it to the website yet - in part because I wasn't sure what to call it.

On Thursday, I found myself out in Waterford, Virginia at the beautiful new Hope Flower Farm owned by floral designer Holly Chapple and family. Holly was the florist for my wedding some many years ago. We recently re-connected through social media. Unbelievable!


Holly's flowers made my wedding day beautiful. Words cannot describe how it felt to reconnect with a woman I so admired almost two decades(!) ago -- AND to see her flourishing in her creative career in such a beautiful, idyllic place. Here are a few pics from the visit:

One (of three) barns on the 25+ acre property


Some ranunculus that arrived while I was there. (Later that afternoon, Holly turned these beauties and more into an *amazing* arrangement. You can see the finished bouquet on her Instagram feed here)


A floral chandelier frame Holly designed, inside one of the barns. (Imagine this covered with flowers ... Stunning!)


Holly and I reminisced about my wedding (check out the old wedding pics on her Instagram feed!) and talked about our careers, families, and lives as creatives ... and about collaborating in the future. My heart and mind are overflowing with excitement about the possibilities. I cannot wait to keep you posted (and yes, Holly gave me another deadline ... a good thing!).

My family and I will be joining Holly at one of her upcoming events at Hope Farm on Sunday, May 1st: Barn dancingVirginia friends & neighbors, It's not too late to register if you want to come, too!

In closing, one of the guests at Evans & Sheldon came up to me after the wallpaper presentations with a suggestion for the unnamed design: "Serendipity." After this week's events, Serendipity it is. 

Have a great weekend!


xo,
Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment